Wenwen Huang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, The Zhejiang University-University of Edinburgh Institute (ZJE), Zhejiang University, China
– Adjunct Professor, Department of Orthopedics of the Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, China
– Adjunct Professor, Key Laboratory of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine of Zhejiang Province, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, China
– Adjunct Professor, Dr. Li Dak Sum and Yip Yio Chin Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, China
– Adjunct Professor, BioMedical and Engineering Translational International Collaboration Center, Zhejiang University, China
– Honorary Lecturer, Biomedical Sciences, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK
Dr. Wenwen Huang is an active researcher interested in the predictive design, synthesis and functionalization of protein-based biomaterials for regenerative medicine and sustainable technology innovations. She received her bachelor’s degree in Physics from Peking University, her PhD in Biophysics from Tufts University, and postdoctoral training in Biomedical Engineering from the SITEP joint program at Tufts (BME) / MIT (CEE). She joined ZJE as a faculty member in October 2018. Her research on protein-based biomaterials has been highlighted in APS News, C&EN News, MIT News, Sohu.com – technology, etc. She was awarded the title of Zhejiang Province Outstanding Young Scholar and Jiaxing City Outstanding Scholar.
Ting Ji, 2019 PhD student
Ting joined Dr. Huang’s group as a PhD graduate researcher in 2019. Her research interests focus on the design and functionalization of stimuli-responsive biomaterials for soft robotics and controlled release systems. She received her bachelor’s degree in biology science from Northwest Normal University in 2019. She is currently working on using biochemistry approaches to tailor the stimuli responsive properties of protein-based hydrogels. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, watching movies, traveling and playing badminton.
Xinchen Shen, 2020 PhD student
Xinchen joined Huang Lab as a PhD candidate in ZJU-UoE dual Ph.D. program in 2020. Her research interests include engineering smart hydrogels and nanocomposites for drug/cell delivery as well as design microfluidic device for tissue regeneration. She received her bachelor’s degree with a major of applied bioscience from Zhejiang University in 2020. She is currently investigating the design and fabrication of silk and elastin biomaterials for non-invasive treatment of KOA. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies and learning to play new instruments.
Kexin Nie, 2021 PhD student
Kexin began her research in Professor Huang’s lab as a PhD student at ZJE in 2021. Her research fields mainly focus on developing functional biomaterials with tunable mechanics and stimuli-responsive properties for a wide range of biomedical applications such as tissue regeneration, wound healing, tumor therapy, etc. She received her bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Zhengzhou University in 2021. Her undergraduate thesis focused on the fabrication of functionalized gelatin fibrous hydrogel by electrospinning and enzymatic crosslinking. This hydrogel scaffold with fibrous structure was proved to have great potential in soft tissue engineering. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music, singing, travelling and dancing.
Hu Li, 2020 Master student
Hu is a master student in our group. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in legal medicine from Central South University in 2020. His research interests include design and synthesis of protein biomaterials for the controlled delivery of therapeutics. Outside of his research, he enjoys cooking, watching movies, swimming and running.
Sicheng Zhou, 2020 Master student (Co-advising with Dr. Weiliang Shen)
Sicheng is a master student co-advised by Professors Wenwen Huang and Weiliang Shen. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in clinical medicine from Zhejiang University in 2020. His research work focuses on the design of silk-based biomaterials and devices for bone and cartilage tissue regeneration. In his spare time, he likes watching movies and practicing calligraphy. He also enjoys sports like basketball, table tennis, cycling and swimming.
Hongda Wei, 2020 Master student (Co-advising with Dr. Ting Gang Chew)
Hongda is a master student co-advised by Professors Wenwen Huang and Ting Gang Chew. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in applied chemistry from Huazhong Agricultural University in 2019. His research interests are using biochemistry approaches to design and fabricate stimuli responsive protein-based hydrogels. In his spare time, he enjoys drawing, claying figurines, skating, swimming and singing.
Jiajia Zhang, 2021 Master student
Jiajia is a master student in our group. She obtained her bachelor’s degree in pharmacology from Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine in 2021. Her undergraduate research focused on analyzing the active ingredients in traditional Chinese medicine. She is currently working on the design of stimuli responsive drug delivery nano-carriers for multimodality cancer therapy. Outside of her research, she enjoys listening to music and walking.
Junting Lu, 2021 Master student
Junting joined Dr. Huang’s group as a master student in 2021. She received her bachelor’s degree in biomedical science from ZJU-UoE Institute. Her past scientific research trainings mainly focused on the field of molecular and cellular biology. With a strong interest in biomaterials and the ultimate goal of improving medical means and benefiting human health, she will continue her biomedical research on silk-based materials for bone and cartilage regeneration. She is curious about the unknown. Astronomy, photography and classical music are her interests. She usually relaxes herself by practicing musical instruments and playing table tennis.
– 2021: Dewei Kong (PhD candidate in NUS), Yixin Dai (PhD candidate in ZJU), Yicong Ma (PhD candidate in PKU), Youcheng Yang (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE), Wenyuan Zhu (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE), Zeen Xu (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE), Yongkang Yi (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE), Yutao Ou (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE)
– 2020: Siqi Zuo (PhD candidate in ZJU), Yiyang Yan (PhD candidate in ZJU), Jiayun Huang (PhD candidate in ZJU), Qingyuan Xia (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE), Chenge Du (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE), Jingqi Qi (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE)
– 2019: Shuhui Yang (BMS undergraduate student at ZJE)
2021 Summer – Group Photo
2020 Winter – Group New Year Dinner
2020 Fall – Group Photo
2020 Spring – Group Photo
2019 Winter – CORMed conference